The mayo diet is one type of food that is widely tried to lose weight. What exactly is meant by the mayo diet and how to arrange the correct mayo diet? Check out the following review.
The mayo diet is taken from a book published by the Mayo Clinic based on research and clinical experience. This diet can change habits to be healthier and reduce the risk of several types of diseases, such as diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, and sleep apnea.
Two Phases of Diet in the Mayo Diet
Keep in mind, the mayo diet is long-term weight control that pays attention to overall health, so it doesn’t just determine the food. The real mayo diet emphasizes changing daily eating habits to be healthier.
The mayo diet consists of 2 phases, namely:
The mayo diet starts with an initial phase called Lose It! This phase lasts for 2 weeks, intending to reduce your weight. In the first 2 weeks, you will experience a weight loss of around 2-4.5 kilograms.
In this phase, 5 unhealthy habits are replaced with a healthy lifestyle. For example, the practice of eating fatty foods, sweet snacks, or eating while watching television, is replaced by eating a healthy breakfast, 4 servings of vegetables and 3 servings of fruit per day, choosing whole grains and healthy fats, and regular exercise.
In the mayo diet, there is a food pyramid, which is a nutritional guide. The pyramid places vegetables and fruits as the most consumption, followed by the intake of carbohydrates, meat and dairy products, and fat. As for sweet foods, the amount is minimal every day.
The mayo diet also encourages physical activity and exercise. It aims to help the body burn calories. It starts with a duration of about 5-10 minutes and is gradually increased. For maximum results, you are encouraged to do moderate-intensity exercise for around 30 minutes per day.
Two weeks after the Lose, its phase is the Live it! In this phase, you must be more active in sports while making food choices, portion sizes, menu planning, and sticking to healthy habits. This phase can also help you maintain your target weight permanently.
Calorie Restrictions on the Mayo Diet
There are several levels of calorie intake in the mayo diet. At the beginning of the mayo diet, the recommended calorie intake varies. The following are restrictions on the number of calories adjusted for gender and weight:
The number of calories in women
- 200 calories per day for women weighing <110 kg
- 400 calories per day for women considering 110–135 kg
- 600 calories per day for women weighing above 140 kg
The number of calories in men
- 400 calories per day for men considering <110 kg
- 600 calories per day for men weighing between 110–135 kg
- 800 calories per day for men weighing> 135 kg
As an illustration, 1200 calorie intake per day consists of 4 servings of vegetables or more, 3 servings of fruits or more, 4 servings of carbohydrates, 3 servings of protein or milk products, and 3 servings of fat.
Read Also :
Daily Menu for the Mayo Diet
After understanding the concept of the mayo diet and limiting the number of calories for men and women, you can apply the example mayo diet menu for the 1,200 calorie intake below:
- The breakfast menu consists of 1 small banana, ¾ cup or about 95 grams of wheat cereal, and calorie-free drinks.
- The lunch menu includes 1 serving of salad, 1.5 teaspoons of butter, 75 grams of pineapple, 1 piece of whole wheat bread, and calorie-free drinks.
- The dinner menu consists of 3 ounces of clams, 1 teaspoon of olive oil, mashed potatoes with a mixture of cauliflower and garlic, 1 cup of beetroot, or about 175 grams, and a calorie-free drink.
- The snack menu consists of 2 plums and 8 biscuits made of wheat.
Mayo diet can be done by enjoying a variety of types and amounts of food, provided that according to the recommended calorie intake. This type of diet is suitable for you who want to improve your eating habits and unhealthy lifestyles and replace it with something better in the long term.
Before deciding on any diet, including choosing a mayo diet, you are advised to consult a doctor first. This is especially important if you have certain health conditions.